Disabled Facilities Grant - DFG

If major adaptations are recommended following an assessment, funding will depend on ownership of the property. Under the Housing Grants Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 these may be carried out free of charge by your Registered Social Landlord (Housing Association). If you live in private housing, or in accommodation managed by some Housing Associations, you will have to apply for a means tested grant called a ‘Disabled Facilities Grant’.

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a local council grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid when the council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

Examples may include:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Your local district, city, or borough council is responsible for the administration of the DFG process and can give further information on request.


Further details about the national funding scheme and a list of eligible works can be found online at https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants

Funding for heating grants

Warm and Well have a free advice line on 0800 500 3076, or text WARM to 83010 for free, impartial advice on how to heat your home and access grants for home improvements.

To find out if you are eligible for the tax-free Winter Fuel Payment, call 0345 915 1515 or visit www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Making private arrangements

If you are looking to arrange the adaptations yourself there is a Contractor and Agent Directory available from Stroud District Council website which covers Gloucestershire. You will also find some useful information sheets to provide further advice on what to look for. Further information can be found online:


This page was last updated on 30 October 2018


The information on organisations within the Your Circle directory does not amount to an endorsement by Gloucestershire County Council of their services. Any use is at your own risk. Please check the organisation's qualifications and inspection reports where applicable. See Disclaimer for details.